Saturday 12 October 2013

The Mermaid Tavern and Grille


Location:  140 Aspinall Ave, Hagatna
Phone: 472-2337
Hours: Mon-Thur 11AM-10PM
           Fri-Sat 11-11PM
           Sun Closed
Website: Mermaid Tavern
Facebook: Mermaid Tavern
Price: $10-$15 Avg



John:
After looking over the menu for 20 minutes while we waited for Zach, I decide to be a follower and have the meatloaf special as well. I haven't had a good meatloaf experience since Old Hagatna Grill, so I was kinda hoping that Mermaids could exceed that of OHG .  

Surprisingly, Mermaids killed it!  The meatloaf was seasoned well, tender and juicy with  awesome gravy smothered on top with creamy garlic mashed potatoes... Oh man, it was delicious! Awesome job Mermaids!


Spicy Buffalo Wings


Zach:
Arrived a little late again today and the guys were already starting with the appetizers. They had ordered the Hummus with Pita and Spicy Buffalo Wings. I'm real new to hummus and am not a fan of it, but this one was delicious. It was very creamy and buttery, it tasted like mayonnaise on steroids. Not that steroids are good for you, but the flavor on this hummus had some sort of enhancer. After taking the last Pita, I claimed the Hummus.  The Buffalo Wings were also awesome. Very orange reddish in color, perfect on the heat index, and it's a bigger wing than other restaurants that offer the same appetizer. 

The main entree was the house special, Cajun Meatloaf with mashed potatoes.  The portion here was large. It also came with a salad and choice of dipping sauce.  I chose ranch.  The ranch suave was creamy and not tangy, I like creamy. The garlic mashed potatoes were good too. Garlicky flavor with very small chunks of potatoes and bits of skin. The Cajun Meatloaf was about the size of Texas Toast and it was spicy.  I like hot but no Tabasco or finadenne (local homemade hot sauce) needed here.  I'm Chammorro so finadenne would've kicked it up a notch. I left Mermaids Tavern feeling full, a defiant "plate plus"in my book. That fullness lasted about 5 hours, not bad at all. 

The waitresses were very friendly and constantly checking on us. I wonder if was because John and Brian are so handsome. Guess we'll have to ask to find out.  Our food came out in a timely fashion, together, and hot. 

The only negative thing I would say about the place is the bar and beer making machines. Since I don't drink that that part of this place gets a negative from me.  The wooden seats , tables, and stalls were pleasant however. I would definitely go back again.  5 out 5 plates for me.


Hummus with Pita

Robbie:
Got there early, as its my first 5 guys 1 plate venture and was greeted at door appropriately and advised waitress of expecting 5 to 6 people. Seated promptly due to 11am arrival. Atmosphere very cozy with "pub-like" feel. Waitress friendly and courteous and was offered choice of beverage, (I chose China iced tea, very pleasant) until arrival of other participants. Upon arrival of all concerned, waitress, with considerable amount of customers in restaurant due to lunch hour rush, continued to give appropriate attention to our table. Our first order was for appetizers, in which we got in about 5 minutes, House Hummus and Buffalo wings. I have never tried Hummus, unknowingly reluctant, but it was quite a pleasant experience with the garlicy flavor kick. I would have it again for appetizer. The Buffalo Wings comes in different heats- mild, hot and Xtra hot. I am an  "Xtra Pika" kinda guy, but we chose the "Hot". The wings were excellent in flavor, not too tangy-a plus. The Wings itself were like on steriods, large. For entree, I chose the Bacon Bleu burger. Upon arival, the burger has a fluffy-like sour dough bun, anticipated to see bacon and bleu cheese, but was infused in burger patty which was a surprise. Burger was juicy and delicious with all the flavors. First bite u could see the bleu cheese and bacon bits. The burger itself is very filling, but it comes with potatoe widges( which I chose), house salad or sweet potatoe fries. The wedges were hot and very crispy. Also had it with a chipotle mayonnaise, which has a pika kick. Awesome!  Excellent first meal choice, beverages were refilled appropriately during meal, even with lunch hour rush. Great service! I would definitely go back with friends, (uknown if children would be appropriate due to alcohol and bar setting) as a beginning of night starter. Only negative would be assigned parking insufficient for large group invite especially in inclement weather, possible far parking. Great place for eats though.  

Reviews:
Eats-5 plates (Excellent)
Service-4 plates (Good)
Atmosphere-5 plates
Parking- 2 plates (needs improvement)


Cajun Meatloaf with Garlic Mashed Potatos

Brian:
Mermaids "cajun meatloaf w/ garlic mash" lunch special was delicious...first of all food was out and served hot within mins....garlic mashed was creamy n moist no need for gravy on top perfect by itself. The cajun meatloaf was tender and just the right amount of pepper mixed into the meat to make the cajun flavor come alive in your mouth. Definately there was no need for hotsauce. The portions are excellent..left Mermaids full n satisfied. Environment is really calm and inviting with an old school feel that the wood tables n bar give it....definately will come back thus such a wide selection on the menu...


Bacon Bleu Cheese Burger with Sweet Potato Fries

Drew:
Parking (1) - Parallel parking skills a must.  Come early to grab a spot, or you'll be doing laps and cursing the parking gods.

Ambience (5) - Spacious, clean and the a/c was just right on this rainy day.  First thing you notice is the brewing equipment off to the side.  It didn't bother me, but I could see it as an eyesore to others maybe.  Big bar with lots of in house beers on tap.  Together with the 3 flat screens, I see myself as a regular, just to try all the beers.

Service (5) - Our waitress was friendly and very patient with us.  Drinks were topped off regularly and checked on us throughout the meal.  

Food (5) -  I ordered the Hummus with pita as an appetizer.  Pita was hot and fresh.  The hummus was creamy, had the right amount of garlic and not too thick.  The Bacon bleu cheese burger was delicious.   The patty was juicy and every couple of bites I hit a chunk of bleu cheese, just the right amount not to overpower the burger.  I didn't taste any bacon, but it was still very good.  I ordered sweet potato fries with the burger, they came out hot and crunchy.  I finished the meal fat and happy.  I'd say this burger ranks within my top ten.  

Overall (4.5 plates out of 5) - I wanted to give Mermaid Tavern 5 plates out of 5, but I can see the parking as a potential nightmare.  I'm the kind of person that sees a full parking lot and leaves.  So, if you want good food, come early!



"Good food, Good Company"