Saturday 19 October 2013

DFRNT Denanche


What will you eat yours with?

You've probably already heard of the DFRNT movement on Guam.  Or maybe seen them at the Chamorro Village Night Market.  If you haven't, you can check them out on Facebook at Dfrnt Guam.  We were able to aquire a few jars (a hard feat to accomplish due to the demand) by contacting Chef Jason Datuin on Facebook.  They go around making deliveries, so that they can meet and interact with the community, which is why they're doing so well.  It's all word of mouth, and once you get this in your mouth, you'll understand what the hype is all about. 

Chef Jason Datuin & Drew

Drew:
I couldn't wait to get my hands on a jar of DFRNT Denanche.  I've seen them on the news a few times and wanted to try their food.  Unfortunately I never got the chance, until now.  I purchased 2 jars for myself, at $10 a jar, because I love spicy food.  Since buying it a few days ago, I'm already well into the second jar.  It does pack quite a punch, but just hot enough where you can still enjoy the flavor.  If you like hot, then I suggest you try a bottle or 5 for yourself.  My only complaint, isn't really a complaint at all.  More of a wish really.  I wish that I had bought more than 2 jars.


Zach

Zach:
I’ve seen this product logo on car stickers and internet advertisements. I have always wondered what it was. At one point I thought it was some fight club shirt or gym. Drew mentioned that it was a Denanche sauce, so it got me intrigued. When he broke it out at the station I was eager to try it. I tried it with Fried rice, eggs, and sausage for breakfast and inside my Spam sandwich. I liked the Mason jar it was packaged in with the DFRNT logo sticker attached to it. The consistency of this denanche was chunky. It was also colorful with its base color that of old gold on the orange color swatch. The word denanche means “just right” in Chamorro. So that’s what I was expecting to taste. It was still very good and I would buy it, but I would have to say that this is more of a “just about right” denanche sauce. It was pretty hot, but hot is good for me. The flavor was good, some coconut essence, hot pepper, seasonings, and other ingredients I am not able to identify. I think that the heat overpowers the flavor of this sauce. It’s got a good “Kick” to it; it just needs a tad more balance on the flavor side. I give this overall product a 4 out of 5.


Brian

Brian:
Definitely has a fiery kick.  The coconut flavor blends perfectly with the crab taste.  For $10 a bottle, you get best bang for your buck.  I would recommend buying 2 bottles, because the first one is gonna go quick.


Zach & George

George:
For me this Denanche was good.  It was tasty with an enjoyable hotness, but there was still no wow factor.  I give it 3.5 out of 5 plates.